Saturday, November 26, 2022

Watercolour on brown cardboard. How bad could it be?

Once more, I find myself coming back here after a pretty long break. It is true that I have posted a couple of poems, but not much else. Life has been hectic. Life has been cruel. And I was the one who caused it all.

But I am not here to talk about that, even if I keep saying my memoirs would definitely go under fiction if I ever wanted to write them down and publish them. But since so much of my life is quite personal and I enjoy my privacy, I will probably not write my memoirs after all. It might be for the better.

No, what I am here to write about is another of my artistic endeavours, a relatively new hobby I picked up in the recent year. Watercolour painting. I guess it got triggered by my mom starting to paint herself, but with acrylic paints.

I had bought a tiny box of watercolours that is the same as I used to have as a child. Probably cheap, low grade paints, but I don't care. I'm only doing this for fun, just playing with it.

I started watching tutorials on Youtube, like I often do when I want to learn a new skill. There are many good resources out there. After a lot of such tutorials, I finally decided to give it a try. I had attempted some paintings before, but I wasn't happy with them.

So, I thought I'd make a few small practise pieces. I didn't have proper watercolour paper, so I cut up a small cardboard box and painted on the pieces. Brown cardboard, roughly 10*10cm. Was it a good idea? Probably not for watercolour.

My first attempt was a mutant flower in a blurry field under an overcast sky. I thought it was a bit childish, but my mom liked it and put it in her kitchen on a shelf.

This week, I was at her place and she was doing her painting and I thought I'd practise too, on a new piece of cardboard. I chose a nice landscape, made the sketch and painted it, all in a couple of hours. I had to use white for the sun, since the white of the paper I was supposed to have used was in fact brown cardboard. I also painted over my sketch and got distracted, so I made a couple of perspective errors. The sun rays are not coming from the sun and the bridge's reflection is a bit too low.

But anyway, mom liked this one too. And I must say I'm also proud of it. I guess I'll remake it on bigger proper paper and next time I'll actually avoid the errors I made on this one.

Let me know what you think as well. I don't mind criticism either, I do prefer honesty to flattery.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, for your 2nd attempt and that too on cardboard, this is amazing (no flattery). You already highlighted the shortcomings, so nothing to add there. I'm amazed rhe cardboard didn't soak up your colours?
    For a recent event I wanted to paint the background but found all my colours had dried up! Except for a few acrylics (which I don't remember buying or using !). Took a pack a 6 watercolours from my niece 😁 she has a drawer-full, and no point letting new ones dry out again.
    Keep coloring ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! The cardboard had very smooth surfaces so it was easy to paint on. It took the water without crinkling, just a bit of overall bending that I could easily fix.
      Oh, nice, I noticed you do various arts too, but didn't know you painted. Watercolours can be really fun. But even if they are dry, you can just revive them with water.

      Delete
    2. I showed hubby and he was impressed, too!
      Most of my painting work was done before the smart phone era (yeah, I'm vintage) and a lot of it was gifted as cards, etc. So hardly any pics

      Delete
    3. Hehe, I will definitely keep painting if it seems I'm doing a good job.
      Hey, you're not vintage! But now that you can, I suggest you take photos of what you paint, just in case you give it away.

      Delete

Send me a message in a bottle