Saturday, July 8, 2023

Broken pencil poetry. Running

Running
8.7.23


Thump thump thump -
My feet hit the ground
As I run.

Thump thump thump -
My heart booms
In my chest.

I run and I sprint,
Stirring the dust behind me,
Gasping for air,
Feeling my lungs burning.
I'm running.

Faster and faster I go,
Leaving behind me
The world in a blur.
Where am I going?
Not even I know.
I just need to run,
To run away.

I'm melting
I'm stretching,
Just like a stick of gum,
So in a hurry am I
To get farther and farther.

The world too is running,
Running in reverse,
Going far behind me,
Out of breath too.

Am I far away enough?
Where am I?
I can't stop to look.
I just keep on going forward,
Gasping for air,
Both my feet hurting.

Just for a second
I dare to glance back.

Oh, no!
My heart sinks.

It's still there,
Following me.
It's still there,
Matching my pace,
My every move.
It's there,
I simply can't escape it.
My eternal stalker,
My most threatening nightmare...
My own shadow.

3 comments:

  1. Well written and thought provoking. Yup, can’t run away from ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shudder!!! On a lighter note - Sometimes hubby finds a spider's web or dust bunny on the ceiling and has to clear it. I keep telling him to follow my example and look straight ahead - neither up nor down 😁
    One line/thought struck me in your poem, in a different way. As I grow older, I feel as if my past is telescoping .... everything seems to be moving farther and farther away in time, including memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!
    Hmm, it is true that the past seems to telescope. That is an interesting way to put it.

    ReplyDelete

Send me a message in a bottle