Saturday, August 19, 2023

Broken pencil poetry. The wall

The wall
19.08.2023


He was laying
Brick upon brick,
In smooth rows,
One on top of the other.
"What are you building?"
I asked him, intrigued.
"You'll see," he winked at me.
So I went away.

When I returned,
The bricks had formed
A wall.
Tall, wide,
And without doors or windows.
And on top,
There he was, still putting
Brick upon brick,
The sun shining behind him.
"Is it a wall?"
"Mm-hm."
"But why?"
But he gave no response,
Just winked again,
Playfully.
So I went away.

The next time,
The wall was as wide as the horizon
And as tall as the sun at noon,
But he was nowhere to be seen.
I knocked on a brick.
"Yeees?" came the answer.
"Whom are you keeping out?"
He laughed, then said
"Perhaps you might ask instead,
Whom am I keeping inside?"
He laughed again.
I couldn't see it,
But I'm fairly sure
He just winked at me again.

3 comments:

  1. Ever since we closed our balcony with large glass windows, I have had the feeling of being 'on display' for the birds and other creatures that land on the outside 😁 Walls can be 'transparent'!
    I like your poem if the final sinister wink can be ignored ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Hehe, yes, transparent walls are kind of unsettling. But it's good you don't have prying eyes other than birds and the like.

      Delete

Send me a message in a bottle